Silversea Cruises has received Port Metro Vancouver's 2012 Blue Circle Award for the port's EcoAction Programme. This is the third time Silversea has been recognised by Port Metro Vancouver for our efforts to reduce air emissions.
The Blue Circle Award recognises the extraordinary environmental achievements of ships that participate in Port Metro Vancouver's EcoAction Programme, which promotes emission reduction measures that exceed the current North American Emission Control Area (NA-ECA) requirements adopted under the International Maritime Organisation while vessels operate within Port Metro Vancouver's jurisdiction.
Silversea is devoted to ensuring the safe operation of our vessels, maintaining full compliance with international environmental regulations, and developing plans for preventing pollution.
Some of the steps we take include:
• Employing latest diesel-electric propulsion design on Silver Spirit that will allow much of the engine power to shut down when power demand is less, reducing fuel usage and air emissions;
• Equipping Silver Spirit, Silver Whisper and Silver Shadow with state-of-the-art navigation systems that feature a speed pilot mechanism for automatic optimal control of speed in varying sea conditions, thereby achieving greater fuel conservation;
• Maximising the use of LED illumination on Silver Spirit to reduce energy consumption;
• Using TBT-free, non-toxic hull coatings, such as silicone-based paints, to lessen frictional resistance and reduce fuel usage and emissions;
• Implementing a stringent waste management plan on all ships with crew members specially trained and responsible for sorting, processing, storing, recycling and disposing of rubbish;
• Using environmentally friendly cleaning products on all ships;
• Placing "Conserve Water and Energy" instruction cards in all suites enabling guests to notify their suite attendant when bed linens and towels need to be replaced, reducing the need for daily washings;
• Encouraging guests to keep their veranda doors closed to conserve energy;
• Providing waste bins on open decks and informing guests of our strict policy against throwing any rubbish overboard;
• Donating unneeded beds, furniture and linens to charitable organisations to avoid creating more waste, while also extending a helping hand to those in need.
Moreover, Silversea is a member of the Association of Arctic Expedition Cruise Operators (AECO), dedicated to managing respectable, environmentally friendly and safe expedition cruising in the Arctic. The company has also joined the International Association of Antarctic Tour Operators (IAATO). This important organisation promotes and practises safe and environmentally responsible travel to Antarctica.
And Silversea is a member of the International Galápagos Tour Operators Association (IGTOA), which works to preserve and protect the Galápagos Islands by promoting responsible, well-regulated, low-impact travel in the archipelago and by supporting critical conservation initiatives and scientific research there.